Today marks an important milestone in this year’s fall gaming line-up. Gaming season doesn’t officially start until Visual Concepts and publisher 2K Games releases each year’s edition of NBA 2K. With days getting shorter and the air getting cooler, the moment every basketball fan was waiting for arrived at midnight Eastern Standard Time. NBA 2K17 finally became available to everyone, not just those that pre-ordered. Already, some users are reporting severe NBA 2K17 problems though.
As a basketball simulation first, there’s a lot of things going on with NBA 2K17 behind the scenes. Developers spent the last year introducing new systems that automatically detect jersey changes and introduce rules. MyPlayer and MyCareer, two of the most popular features that have ever been introduced into the franchise, have upgrades with new systems and new ways to play.
When developers add intricate new features like the ones Visual Concepts added with NBA 2K17, it’s hard to replicate every situation before release. There are bugs and hiccups as the game gets going on Xbox, PlayStation and Windows PCs.
Here are the NBA 2K17 problems users have reported since the game launched during Early Tip-Off Weekend. Unfortunately, some these issues don’t have fixes yet, but we’ll keep you updated on any new developments with them.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Initial Patch Takes Too Long to Download on PS4
Visual Concepts and 2K Games managed to fix a ton of issues and update the game in between the time they began making disc based copies of it and Early Tip-Off Weekend. That’s was the good news. The bad news is that all of those fixes are contained in a huge patch that users need to download before they can play the game.
PS4 and Xbox One owners report that this essential patch is downloading for them, but very slowly. With so many people trying to get their hands on the game, there’s nothing you can do on your end to speed up this process. Sometime in the next day, the number of people trying to download the patch should slow. That’ll free up some capacity.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Pre-Order Bonuses Not Working
NBA 2K17 purchases and pre-orders include a number of Virtual Currency bonuses – especially, if you picked up the Legend Edition featuring Kobe Bryant’s MyPlayer add-ons. Some users report not getting their Virtual Currency bonuses yet.
2K says that Virtual Currency bonuses that users purchased should surface automatically in their account. You can force it to surface by heading into the MyTeam area. Some have had success with that.
Remember to redeem any codes that came with your disc copy of the game.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Face Scanning Issues
A banner feature added in a previous version of NBA 2K, face scanning allows users to easily import their facial structure, then add hair and other identifying marks to the game later. In past games, the feature was notoriously buggy and NBA 2K17 appears to be no exception.
Read: How to do My Player Face Scanning in NBA 2K17
You’ll need to add the MyNBA2K app to your iPhone or Android device to get face scanning working. Be sure to do your face scan in a well-lit, area. Talk of an outerwear that you have on and remove your glasses, if you wear them. The game will process your face scan and let you tweak it before applying it to your MyPlayer.
NBA 2K17 Problems: There is a Problem with Your Connection to Online Services
Another sign that traffic in the game is high right now, lots of users are reporting that the game presents them with an error message every time they login in. “There is a problem with your connection to online services,” the message reads.
Be sure to use your smartphone, tablet or PC to make sure that it’s not your network that’s actually misbehaving. If they are working fine then the problem is with the game’s servers and not your setup. Unfortunately, there’s very little that you can do to fix an issue like that on your end.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Camera is Out of Focus on MyCareer
MyCareer players on Xbox One report that the camera routinely goes out of focus when enjoying the modes cutscenes. For now, there’s no work around. This issue is fixed with the 1.03 update to NBA 2K17.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Can’t Skip Cut Scenes
If you’re having issues skipping Cut Scenes in MyCareer, it’s because you haven’t experienced those cutscenes on your current profile before. Going forward, press X or A to skip a cutscene that you’ve watched before.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Time Jumping on PC
A small number of users report NBA 2K17 time jumping. Essentially, the game goes forward in time, breaking the experience. Then the game crashes.
One trick that users report working is deleting portions of Steam Cloud saves. Specifically, look for the “385760” folder within the Steam folder under User data folder. Copy the “Remote” folder from within the folder, then delete the original. The game will attempt to copy the new files over from 2K’s servers the next time you run it. You can find out more about this issue in this Steam Community post.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Stuck Cut Scenes (New)
Sometimes the cut scenes on Microsoft’s Xbox One console will freeze and skip as you try to back out of the game to perform another action. If that happens to you, you’ll need to press the menu button on the controller and close the game, then re-open it.
NBA 2K17 Problems: Virtual Currency Transfers (New)
If you’ve already made investments in Virtual Currency in a previous game, that’s exactly where they’ll stay. VC doesn’t transfer between editions of the franchise, even if it was purchased for a game on the same platform.
NBA 2K17 Problems: 1.03 Update (New)
Looking to roll out some series fixes for all of the problems users have encountered since the game launched, 2K and Visual Concepts recently released patch 1.03 for NBA 2K17. It’s stuffed with fixes, according to a forum post on it:
- Updated court floors for both the New York Knicks and the Milwaukee Bucks.
- Uniform improvements including the addition of a number of patches (e.g. Pacers 50th anniversary patch) and changes to more accurately represent uniforms for a number of teams.
- Addressed an issue where some pre-order users were unable to see the ’92 Dream Team on the Play Now team select menu.
- Substitutions made during a timeout will now immediately apply, rather than waiting for the next dead ball.
- Reduced the frequency of lob passes and increased pass speeds across the board.
- Fixed the 5-Second Closely Guarded rule in Euroleague-rules games such that the violation is only called when the ball carrier is holding the ball (as opposed to dribbling the ball).
My Park and 2K Pro-Am
- Voice chatting has been added to the Pro-Am Team Arena.
- As your Pro-Am Team levels up, you will now begin to see your Sponsors’ logos appearing on your custom arena walls!
- Pro-Am teams of Elite 4 (and higher) will now see big heads in the crowd of their players during games.
- The “On The Rise” and “Get Your Feet Wet” achievements should now unlock when the proper criteria has been met.
- Injuries in MyCAREER will no longer carry over into MyPARK/Pro-Am games. Regardless of your injury status in your career, your player will now always be fully healthy in MyPARK/Pro-Am.
- The Turbo meter will now flash red when depleted in MyPARK/Pro-Am games.
- Travelling as a team to Parks and Pro-Am games should now be a lot smoother and more reliable.
- Once earned, Grand Badges should now properly appear on your player in Pro-Am games.
- A large number of improvements to the camera system used during Pro-Am games. The entire experience should now look and feel much cleaner.
- Custom Wall progress will no longer disappear when changing basket types while editing a Pro-Am Team arena.
- Made a change such that the only whistles you will hear in MyPARK are those from your current game (unless you are walking around).
- Your Gamertag/Online ID will now correctly show on the back of your team’s Pro-Am jersey.
- More reliable search capabilities when searching for players in the Free Agency feature of Pro-Am.
- Corrected a number of animation upgrades for Pro-Am that had incorrect team level requirements.
- Fixed an issue where the overall rating of another player would display as 55 when viewing their player card during a shootaround.
- MyPARK intro animations will now be shown with a greater variety when more than one is equipped.
My Career & My Court
- Corrected a case where users would have an optional practice and a game overlapping on a single day, resulting in the user being forced to simulate to the next game.
- Proper controls for “Orange Juice” are now shown in the Controls menu in the in-game pause menu.
- The Ankle Breaker badge should now properly unlock when the appropriate conditions are met.
- Attributes earned exclusively through off-court events (e.g. free throw shooting, stamina, etc.) should now properly be saved to your MyPLAYER once earned.
- Coach Brubaker will no longer critique you for missing team practices while you are injured.
- When playing as a Point Guard, the playcalling menu will no longer be brought up on-screen when attempting to use “Orange Juice” controls with the d-pad.
- Fixed an issue where your MyPLAYER would sometimes appear out of focus during a post-game interview with the studio crew.
My GM My League
- Removed an errant dialog during MyGM setup that prevented more than one custom-built team from being added to the league at time of league creation.
- Fixed an issue in MyLEAGUE Online where loaded custom draft classes were not being preserved.
- User vetoes are now respected in MyGM when your owner approaches you regarding the proposed rule changes for the upcoming season. If you don’t want a rule enacted, say no. If you are interested in the rule, say yes and it will go up for vote with the league.
- When using a downloaded Team Design, the commentators will no longer refer to the team by an incorrect name.
- Team Cards will now list team stats for the last 24 years, rather than the current and last season it showed previously. The more information, the better!
- Fixed an issue where the Advanced Rotations menu was not properly updating following a trade, which could lead to a hang in some cases.
- Players should now sign for normal contract values when the salary cap rule is turned off.
- Commentary and crowd sounds will now be heard when jumping into a game that was initiated with SimCast.
- Playoff stats will now be used in the Team Comparison and Player Comparison menus during the Playoffs (previously used regular season stats).
It seems that the update is still making its way through Microsoft’s certification process. PS4 users should already have it or get prompted to install it soon.
Gotta Be Mobile will continue to add to this list of problems and fixes as they’re reported and addressed by Visual Concepts and 2K Games.